Friday, December 2, 2011

Cerca del final

"Ask me and I will tell you remarkable secrets you do not know about things to come"
-Jeremiah 33:3

So I have been at the children's home now for quite some time. It has been a glorious experience to get to know all of the kids and their personalities.
I help alot of them with their homework during the day and that is probably one of my favorite times of the day because I get to see their faces when they begin to understand something or see how excited they get when bring home good grades. There is one little girl in particular that has a very hard time with reading. She can't read anywhere close to her "age appropriate reading level" and she has trouble staying focused long enough to sound the word out. I have been making her read to me everyday and we sit and focus and read until we get through it. Sometimes it takes longer then everybody else takes to do all their homework and we are sitting there by ourselves but we do this together. Just the other day she brought home a passing grade in her reading area.
So obviously, we danced!!!! 
 I felt like such a proud mama! everyday I get to hangout with the kids and we do little art projects together. That is the time of my life seeing how their minds work when being creative.

Being in Mexico has just been way more then I could ever ask for. Before I got here I had certain expectation or almost a "plan" in my mind of how things were gonna go and how it was all going to play out. But God has taken this whole experience and gone in a totally different direction with it and I love it!
It's like He knows what He's doing, or something :)     

 I thought this trip was going to be %100 about the kids and God has showed me that He can multi-task. like God isn't just working through me with these kids, He is also working in me and showing me things that I never though I could do and teaching me that I have just opened up a new box and preparing me of how to deal with it, BC this isn't going to be my last rodeo!!

Aside from these amazing kids. I have been given many privileges to experience other aspects of the culture here. Like I got to go to a soccer game which is huge here and that was a riot!  I was able to go to the Luchas (I think that is the name) but it's basically Mexican wrestling in cool costumes and masks! That was wild to see, and SO fun! Also I got to go to a wedding! Which was an amazing experience, I learned how to salsa! and got to see all the Mexican traditions at weddings that are a bit different then the ones we are use to back at home. Also I am going to a Quinceañera this weekend!! Also got to travel to different cities here in this big country. So I feel very lucky to get to experience all these different things while being here.

Time has gone by SO fast and I know it will be a hard day on the 12th when I have to leave here and say good bye to all my kids here and all my new friends. But I am  looking forward to seeing all my people again in the states and being back at my church that I have so dearly missed.

A big grande "Thanks so much" to all those amazing people out there that made this wonderful adventure possible! I wish I could give you all a hug, RIGHT NOW!!!

Spanish phrase of the moment:
Carlos está comiendo arroz y zapatoes
Translation Station:
Carlos is eating rice and shoes

2 comments:

  1. I love you and am so proud of you. Mike is just jealous that you saw Mexican wrestling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing how successful your trip has been. As much as it killed me to know you'd be gone for four months, I know this was the right thing for you to do. I know you're making such a huge difference in the lives of the people you're meeting! And by the way, everything you said about reading with that little girl is exactly how teachers feel every single day! Got me thinking that you would be a fantastic teacher, whether it's in reading, Spanish, religion, whatever! You should consider it!

    ReplyDelete